Gotu kola is a very commonly used herb in Ayurveda for longevity. It is also called the fountain for life because the legends say that it was taken by ancient learned people in India and China to live 100+ years. Read more about Gotu Kola here.
Gotu Kola Recipe
Fresh leaves: take 3-5 fresh leaves and chew it early morning. It enhances the brain functions also helpful in curing hyperacidity
Juice: mix 6-8 fresh leaves with water and make juice to strengthen the nerves. It is effective in mental weakness and skin diseases. It also prevents gastric ulceration. The juice has protective effect against alcohol- induced and aspirin-induced ulcers.
Tea or decoction
- Prepare about half teaspoon of dried leaves for every cup of water.
- Boil for 10 to 15 minutes
- Let it steep and strain
- Store in a glass jar for later consumption
- Drink 1 cup, twice to three times a day after meals.
The fresh juice extract from the leaves can also be used. You can add other herbs or honey to improve the efficacy and taste. It has cooling, sedative and relaxing effect. The tea prepared from Gotu kola induces sleep and gives relief in insomnia.
Ghee: fresh juice of gotu kola is mixed with equal amount ghee and boiled. Daily eat one teaspoon as brain tonic.
With buttermilk: make paste of 5-6 gotu kola leaves and mix it with a glass of butter milk. It helps in dysuria and burning micturition
Hair oil: Extract juice of Gotu kola leaves. Mix with equal amount of coconut oil. Boil the mixture till all the water is evaporated. Filter and store in bottle to use as a hair oil. Used for scalp massage in stress, anxiety, depression, premature greying of hairs
Chutney / Paste:
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 5 min
Ingredients for grinding: (measuring cup used = 120ml)
- 2 hands full of gotu kola leaves
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- Small piece of ginger
- 2 red chillies
- 1/2 gooseberry sized jaggery
- Salt as per your taste
Ingredients for tempering:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 red chilly
Instructions for making gotu kola chutney:
- To prepare gotu kola chutney, first clean and wash the gotu kola leaves. And keep all other ingredients ready, for grinding.
- Put all the ingredients listed under grinding into a mixer jar and grind it by adding little water.
- Temper it with oil, mustard seeds and red chili. Serve it with hot rice and enjoy healthy and tasty gotu kola chutney.
Gotu kola chutney can be used as a side dish with regular lunch/dinner. It is useful in anxiety, insomnia and rejuvenates the body and mind
Image courtesy of 13spices.com.